Naming competition for new Geraldton tug boats
November 6, 2019
Naming competition launched for three new Geraldton Port tug boats
Minister for Ports, Western Australia, Alannah MacTiernan is calling on the Mid-West community to help name the Port of Geraldton’s new fleet of tug boats, the first of which will be on the water from autumn 2020.
The Mid-West Ports Authority (MWPA) and Svitzer Australia have teamed up on the ‘Name Your Tugs’ competition, providing an opportunity to anyone in the Mid-West to submit an idea for a name for the new tugs.
As part of a non-exclusive license for towage services with MWPA, Svitzer Australia is due to deliver three state-of-the-art tugs throughout 2020.
Two winners will be chosen from entries by Mid-West residents, with a third winner chosen from MWPA staff and Svitzer Geraldton crew entries.
The competition will close on November 24, 2019. A naming ceremony will take place after all three tug boats have arrived at the Port of Geraldton next year.
Community members can submit their entry by emailing email@example.com or contact 08 9964 0533 for more information.
Ports Minister Alannah MacTiernan said:
“This is a great chance to be part of our maritime history by having your winning name displayed on the side of a very visible and key Port vessel for many years.We’re looking forward to seeing the Mid-West at its creative best in this competition.”
Svitzer Australia General Manager – West, Jodie Ransom said:
“Svitzer has been part of the Mid-West community for more than 30 years, and we are really pleased to invite the local community including our crew and MWPA employees to name the newest tugs in our fleet.“The naming and celebration of a new vessel is an important maritime tradition. This is a great opportunity to involve our local community and offer a closer look at the Port.”Source: mediastatements.wa.gov.au
Terms and Conditions
Entry details are as follows:
Open to: Residents of the Mid West community
Details: Community members can submit their entry by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prize: The community winners will have their chosen name immortalised on the side of one of the new tug boats and will be invited to attend the naming ceremony next year.
The competition will close on 24 November 2019.
The naming ceremony will take place after all three tug boats have arrived at the Port of Geraldton next year.
For enquiries or more information, phone (08) 9964 0533 or email email@example.com
Competition Terms and Conditions
- “Name your Tugs” competition is run by Mid West Ports Authority (MWPA) and Svitzer Australia.
- The competition runs from Monday 6 November 2019 and entries close on Sunday 24 November 2019 at midnight (WST).
- Eligible entries are to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org name, address and contact number.
- The competition is only open to the following:
- Mid West community members
- MWPA employees
- Svitzer Geraldton employees
- Three names for the new tug boats will be selected from the entries by the Svitzer Australia and Mid West Ports Authority judging panel.
- Svitzer Australia has the final decision on the names of the new vessels.
- The winners of the competition will be notified by email and phone, and published on social media on Tuesday 3 December.
- The winner will have the opportunity to attend the naming ceremony for the new tugs. Date of ceremony will be confirmed and will be set at the discretion of MWPA and Svitzer Australia.